Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cilantro, basil and garlic chimichura?

I'm not sure what to call this concoction I make, but try it. It's easy to do and your grilled steak dinner will blow you away.

In the magic bullet (it's a really useful tool to have in your kitchen arsenal) I combined a small bunch of fresh cilantro, about 6 large fresh basil leaves, 2 large cloves of garlic and about a 1/4 cup of evoo. Pulse until it forms a nice paste. Refrigerate at least a day. The flavor gets more intense this way.

I had a steak cut called Bavette. It's a flank steak, but I don't think it's the same cut as regular flank steak.
Let the meat come to room temp. and then cut a grid into both sides of the steak. Now paint the steak with Marc's chimichura sauce. Grill and enjoy. Let this cut sit for AT LEAST 10 minutes. That way the juices can really come back into it. Slice thin against the grain.
Here's one of the leftover steaks which will be eaten later today. Big dinner so I won't eat until about 2-3 pm or so.
















Also made a nice salad to go along with the steaks. Organic red oak leaf lettuce with lots of cucumber and a sauteed garlic, onion, beef bacon and dijon mustard dressing.

This leaves me with the question of the day; What exactly is "Beef Bacon"?
I bought it at Whole Foods. Obviously many people had he same question I did, and I don't think WF sold a lot of it. So it was on sale for $1.99 and buy one get one free.
It's very tasty and I used it up in many different ways over the past week.

I got a really nice comment from Rusty yesterday. I've been a long time reader of his blog. He delivers top notch info. His link has been on the right for a long time, but don't know if I ever pointed you all to it. Check it out!

Have a great day!!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I tried the Whole Foods beef bacon once too. I didn't think it tasted like bacon at all, but it was good in its own way. It was more like minute steak or cheesesteak meat.

Chimichurri sauce looks good! I love making that stuff. I usually put red wine vinegar in mine.

Anonymous said...

Id like to get my hands on some $1.99 beef bacon. Too bad i refuse to set foot in WF. lol

The SoG

Marc said...

Elizabeth,
you're right on! It doesn't taste anything like bacon...
minute steak is a good description too. I thought it was pretty tasty however.
Why do you put in the red wine vinegar? Does it alter the taste a lot?

SOG;
LOL, I agree....but...I do go in there for the sales. I love buying my $.99 lamb and mint sausages.
I miss my Wild Oats ;-(

Rachel said...

Garlic really does make anything better in my book.

Hey, what do you guys have against WF? If you shop the sales and the store brands there are a LOT of good deals to be had...

Jay C said...

Marc;

Steak is looking mighty good. I have pork roast that is marinating, plan to slow cook tomorrow in the oven for 8 hours.

Be well, eat more meat, do more squats. You do squats???

Marc said...

Rachel,
I agree and sometimes wonder if one cn eat too much garlic ;-)
Man do I go through some garlic in my house.
As to WF, I just don't like their pricing ;-(
I've also noticed that some stores are very differet from one another. I love the one that my friend lives close to in NYC. I'm not crazy about the one here. Their produce section here is sad ;-(

Jay,
Thank you!
Did you see my pork roast post? How are you making yours? share share..
And YES Sir, I do squats ;-)

Jay C said...

Marc;
I rubbed it down with a commerical bought rub, after I spread around some yellow mustard to hold the rub better, put in plastic bag, let sit for a day. This morning, wrapped the pork in aluminium foil, put on cookie sheet, set temp to around 190-200, should take out of oven around 5 today. First attempt at this, will post results tomorrow.

Squat On

Jay C said...

Marc;

The roast cooked nicely, but should have finished it with some BBQ under the broiler for a few minutes, or at least in the crock pot.
Heading to a great BBQ tomorrow, Blazin Bill's in Burton Ohio, should be a good time. Plan to split a whole rack of ribs along with a whole chicken. Should be enough food for the two of us, if not, we'll get some Pulled Pork for desert.

Have a great weekend.