Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Apple Cider Vinegar

I like to find things out through personal experience. I was a classic example as a kid, of having to burn my hand on the hot stove before I would believe it was hot. I don't have any regrets, it's how I've become who I am. Trial and error, screw ups, they have shaped me just fine.
So, one good thing that has come out of that is, I don't believe everything I hear or read, I do my own research and than will come to my own conclusions. Stubborn? Maybe so ;-)

Thanks to Mike OD and his top notch blog, I read this.
I did some more reading and looking around then decided to put ACV to the test.


















































This is the brand I bought. I think if you buy some for yourself, get one that has "With the Mother" on the label. This gives it a cloudy look and you will see some sediment at the bottom.


For the past two weeks I have been taking 2 teaspoons in hot water in the morning.
This is what I've found.
  1. Very noticeable energy boost. Let me say that I'm not one that lacks energy, so I found this surprising to say the least.

  2. Increased mental clarity. I'm known to have quick comments and make my co-workers laugh a good amount. Lately this ability seems to be in overdrive. I'm on fire ;-)

  3. My complexion has a certain new "glow". I have a tan, but my tan looks different now.

  4. Improved digestion. Not going to get to graphic here, but I can tell it's different.

  5. Just a general sense of improved well being. It's difficult to describe.
You can do some research on the web and there are countless websites touting hundreds of benefits. Who knows what's truly fact. But from my little trial here, there is definitely something going on with this stuff. Do any of you have any ACV stories to share?


To some of you more studied out there, is there any real research or science you know about? Dr. Dan do you know of any? SOG your thoughts? Richard have you ever tried it? I look forward to every one's thoughts and feedback.

I wanted a little snack before a big lunch yesterday. I was just plain hungry after my workout.
This held me over for about 3 hours



Smoked salon loin, an avocado, evoo, small tomato a slivers of goat cheese and a little spring onion.

"Every man must die, few truly live"

W.W

8 comments:

Chris said...

Search on pubmed for ACV:

Effect of apple cider vinegar on delayed gastric emptying in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a pilot study.Hlebowicz J, Darwiche G, Björgell O, Almér LO.
Department of Medicine, University of Lund, Malmö University Hospital, Malmö, Sweden. joanna.hlebowicz@med.lu.se

BACKGROUND: Previous studies on healthy people show that vinegar delays gastric emptying and lowers postprandial blood glucose and insulin levels. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of apple cider vinegar on delayed gastric emptying rate on diabetes mellitus patients. METHODS: Ten patients with type 1 diabetes and diabetic gastroparesis, including one patient who had undergone vagotomy, were included and completed the investigator blinded crossover trial. The gastric emptying rate (GER) was measured using standardized real-time ultrasonography. The GER was calculated as the percentage change in the antral cross-sectional area 15 and 90 minutes after ingestion of 300 g rice pudding and 200 ml water (GER1), or 300 g rice pudding and 200 ml water with 30 ml apple cider vinegar (GER2). The subjects drank 200 ml water daily before breakfast one week before the measurement of GER1. The same subjects drank 200 ml water with 30 ml vinegar daily before breakfast for two weeks before the measurement of GER2. RESULTS: The median values of GER1 and GER2 were 27% and 17%, respectively. The effect of vinegar on the rate of gastric emptying was statistically significant (p < 0.05). CONCLUSION: This study shows that vinegar affects insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients with diabetic gastroparesis by reducing the gastric emptying rate even further, and this might be a disadvantage regarding to their glycaemic control

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't know about that diabetes stuff, but my boss swears by ACV - which was triggering my BS indicator, but now that you've noticed increased energy and mental clarity too, I'm willing to give it a try!

Thanks for the informative post!

Anonymous said...

Like you, I have done a good amount of personal reaserch into ACV. I have found probably an equal amount of info praising it as I have condemning it to snake oil. The only thing really left to do is try it myself I guess. I have also heard to get it with "the mother". I am going to pick up some this weekend and give it a whirl. I will report on the results.

The SoG

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll admit I'm curious. I had only heard of apple cider vingear in the context of weight loss gimmicks, so I have been a skeptic. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try. I'm with SOG-will report back.

Marc said...

Chris, as always THANK YOU.
I will read more.

BEE;
Don't know how informative...but it's a true account of my 2 week little trial, it's intersting I think. Hey, keep up the good posts on your site. I enjoy them!!

SOG,
Same here. Exact same findings as you. Now what I will say is this; there is something beneficial about eating "fermented foods"
Most all cultures have them and are in admiration of their qualities. As such ACV is fermented, so maybe that is where so much of the good quality comes from. Just thinking out loud here.

Rachel,
I'll be very curious about your findings. Keep me updated.

Marc

Richard Nikoley said...

I have some and have come to enjoy it as a beverage by mixing 2 tsp in about 10 oz of quality sparkling mineral water, like Perier or Pellegrino.

Very refreshing taste.

I also use it on salads and other things that call for vinegar.

Don't know about the health benefits, though it does seem to render my tummy very nice and calm after.

Mark said...

I tried out the ACV thing for two weeks and didn't notice anything different. It wasn't bad, though, and is a nice change of pace from tea/coffee.

Marc said...

jumpow;

I have a small cup of black coffee in the morning. Then a little later a nice cup of hot water with the ACV.
Glad you tried it.
Marc