Sunday, March 14, 2010

Salad

Here's a real simple salad, but full of flavor and good for you goodness.


Smoked coho salmon over a bed of local organic arugula. Greek yogurt dressing.
Just mix together a table spoon of greek yogurt, about 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and mix together well. Now add water to get it to dressing consistency that you want. Drizzle over the salad and top off with some fresh ground pepper.

I got some grass fed meat bones and made a bone broth over the weekend. In line with everything "food"  I blog about, this couldn't be any easier. And you are really making something that is so incredibly good for you and you can use it in so many ways.

The only thing in my opinion that you HAVE to do is roast the bones first.


This will give your broth that extra kick in flavor.
When the bones have been roasted put them in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. After that turn down the heat to a simmer, cover and let it do it's thing for 24 hours. You can add a bit of lemon or vinegar, this will help pull all the good for you minerals out of the bones. If you don't want to leave your stove on for 24 hours, after you have brought it to a boil, just transfer to a large crockpot (slowcooker) and let it do it's thing in there. While it's brewing; check it every now and again  and skim off any weird stuff at the top. It might look like froth or scum....But it doesn't always appear. If you want to read a good post on broth, check Food Renegade.com. After 24 hours remove the bones. And let the soup cool. Skim the fat from the top and you are ready to go. The fat you can use to cook with (tallow). I keep some in glass jars in the fridge. I will drink it this week or use it to make some soup. With the rest I will make some broth ice-cubes.
Give it a try sometime. It really is so easy.


5 comments:

Natalie said...

Mmm, salad and nutritious soup, sounds delectable...er, how do you feel about bread, again?

Marc said...

Natalie,

bread...I guess it's better then a cupcake ;-) but not much.

Marc

Natalie said...

Damn. I may have to adopt you as my food conscience. Goodness knows I need one.

Anonymous said...

wow, I had no idea a creamy dressing could be this easy, definitely going to give this a try! thanks

(gross I know, but hidden valley ranch is like crack for me)

Marc said...

Natalie,
Deal if I can borrow your running conscience ;-)

Anon,
YES..it's that easy. Give it a shot. you will be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for leaving a comment.

Marc