Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Link Love and Grill with me

Kristin who has the wonderful site, FoodRenegade, is doing a little series called "Understanding the Keys to Health". Go take a look if you are not familiar with her writing,

We talk a lot about cheaper cuts of meat. Chicken quarters fall in that category for sure.
I picked up some organic chicken quarters for $4. (total weight was 1.25 pounds)
Strangely enough, the majority of people out there don't like chicken on the bone. They love dry chicken breasts or chicken breasts filled with "sodium juice and rib meat.

Let's prep, marinate and grill.
Wash your chicken quarters and pat dry.
3 large cloves of garlic, fresh basil and fresh oregano (don't worry, I WILL be planting more herbs shortly so I'll provide you with some variety ;-) )
sprinkle liberally with paprika and some sea salt.
Toss in large ziploc or non metallic container and mix well with about 2 tbsps of evoo and 2 tbsps lemon juice. If you do this in the morning, it will be ready to grill for dinner.

Get your grill nice and hot.
Skin side down, sear on high heat and brown. Turn after about 3 minutes.
Watch the flare ups from the skin so that you don't burn it.
Now move the chicken to indirect heat and close the lid. Let it cook for about 20 minutes.

It was so good, I wish I had more.......



6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That looks so good! Grill envy. :)

Teen Girls said...

Looks delicious!

Marc said...

Elizabeth,
I wish you had acces to the grill.....I know you wuld be cooking up some delicious primal fare. Really enjoyin your blog. Keep it up!

Primal Mama,
Thank you! How was your trip?

Marc

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Marc, for the link love! This chicken looks scrumptious.

Cheers,
KristenM
(AKA FoodRenegade)

Yummy said...

Thanks for that link, Marc. Her site is amazing.

Chef Rachel said...

I love that you focused on chicken legs. I also find a lot of my cooking students and clients steer clear of chicken on the bone! They don't want to touch them or have no experience w/cooking dark meat.

Besides being more economical,dark meat poultry is a better source of iron and zinc than breast meat and you don't have to add fat to make it tender.

You can also save money by saving the bones from any meat, depositing them in bags in the freezer (poultry in one bag; red meat bones in another), and about once a month, cook them in a crock pot w/a few additions to make a delicious, bone-building broth to replace commercial chick or beef broth. I list the recipe in my book, The Garden of Eating.