Monday, January 28, 2008

Farmers market and what's in your lunch bag today?

Do you have a farmers market where you live?
You would not believe the treasures to be had there. So check to see if there's one in your area.
I had not been to the one here in over a year. Stupid ME!
I went Sat. morning early and did a week's worth of produce shopping (all organic and locally grown) for $40. This also included a pound of the freshest local shrimp I've ever seen.
Curious what I bought?
Romaine lettuce, so green and so big it was 3 times the size compared to what's available at the super market. Yellow squash, baby eggplants, FRESH cucumbers (the garden fresh taste was un real) cherry tomatoes, strawberries, bok choy, of which I should have taken a picture, because you wouldn't believe how good it looked. Big bushel of basil, large bulb scallions and some fresh mozzarella.
I made a fresh pesto sauce on Saturday. So Sunday was a veggie and shrimp grill fest. Marinated all goodies with the fresh pesto and grilled it.
So breakfast this morning was some left over shrimp with avocado, some basil and a drizzle of EVOO.
See pic for my lunch box contents, includes breakfast with some straw berries and blueberries and afternoon snack of humus with drizzle of EVOO and fresh celery.
Lunch;
Some fresh Arugula, drizzle of olive oil topped with some left over organic pulled chicken.
I made the chicken in the crock pot a few days ago.
Here's a real easy recipe to try and it is delicious! One whole organic chicken, one large yellow onion, 6-8 cloves garlic, half a lemon. Dry Rub, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder (I like achiote) and thyme. Clean the chicken and stuff cavity with garlic cloves, some onion and sliced lemon. Put a little bit of olive oil in your hand and rub the chicken with it. Next rub the spices all over the chicken. Make a bed of onions in the crock pot and put the chicken on top. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. The chicken makes and sits in it's in own juices, turn the bird over after about 3 hours. Keeps well and is SO tasty.
Cut up the onion make a bed in the crock pot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marc,

When I'm in Naples, I'm coming to your house for dinner! Good stuff.

Glad you are digging the vitamins, too. Thanks for your participation on MDA.

Sisson

Marc said...

Anytime.
I know Malibu is wonderful, but Naples isn't to shabby. ;-)
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Marc