Monday, January 12, 2009

Working out in a fasted state

Just finished up a small weekend tennis tournament.
Yours truly won both the men's singles and the men's doubles.
I'm sure most of you read Keith's amazing blog. He talks often about working out in a fasted state. I've found that playing tennis in a fasted/ somewhat hungry state has me playing at my best. I started my first match Friday afternoon at 5. Last meal was breakfast around 11:30. That consisted of a piece of grilled fish with veggies. This was a fairly large portion.

I did not eat after the 2 hour match, nor the rest of the evening.

The next morning, my first match was at 9. I was done around 11. Now I was starting to get hungry. By 11:30 I was sitting outside a local Spanish tapas restaurant. I think they looked at me a little funny as I proceeded to order the whole left side of the menu ;-)

Well, not exactly but this is what I had. Gamba's a la plancha. Whole shrimp sauteed in olive oil and spices. (about 12-15 medium sized shrimp, heads and all), Sausage in some type of olive oil.

A plate of imported serano ham, chorizo and pork loin. and last but not least white anchovies in garlic sauce. After the meal I took my picnic blanket and laid in the grass in the park, in the sun

for a nice snooze. Later that afternoon I played my next match. I didn't eat again until the following morning early. I had a bacon and onion omelet. Then a few hours after that played my last match of the weekend.

Have any of you ever tried something like this?
Breakfast this morning was at my desk.
Plum tomato, little bit of onion, one and half an avocado and three boiled eggs. Drizzle of evoo and some fresh cracked pepper.

















Next post coming up for my friend SOG. "Grandma's Salad Dressing"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your "grandmas salad". Congrats on the tennis tournament. I was a pretty darn good tennis player back in highschool but have not really played since. The meal looks good as always!

The SoG

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great weekend :) You've got me craving tapas now. When I visit family in Seville, I have to have the pimentos de padron, the serrano ham, and the anchovies. So tasty.

Marc said...

Thanks SOG. Due to dumb blogger software it should have said "Grandma's Salad DRESSING"
But the dressing came underneath the picture.

Rachel,
Tapas are my favorite. There is a new place in town that I can't wait to try. I'll do a mini review ;-)
Spain is a wonderful country.

Marc

Jeff said...

Congrats on your win. What level of tennis do you play at?

Good to hear about the fasting and tennis. I played for years in California, but was stuck eating beforehand so I wouldn't bonk. If I only knew then what I know now.

Marc said...

Thank you Jeff.
I'm a 5.0 player.

Years ago I drank "gels", gatorade, ate granol bars....cause you know, how would I have energy??? ;-)

I'm amazed when I'm playing against people, the size of the gatorade bottles they consume. Guess they need the sugar.

Marc

Jeff said...

Marc,

5.0? That is awesome and to win at that level is even better. Good for you!

I was a gatorade guy as well up until last Feb when I made the Paleo changeover. Haven't had a drop since.

Still going through your archives. Great stuff.

jeff