Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Motivation

Just a few positive notes I wanted to share today. And hopefully, it will motivate and inspire you to keep making the choices that empower and make you FEEL GOOD.

I found a large index card yesterday when I was cleaning up a bit and it read as follows;

"Realise that the hardest step in achieving anything, is making a true commitment, a true decision. Carrying out your commitment is often much easier then the decision itself. Don't labor forever over the question of HOW or IF you can do it" 

Thanks to wonderful google I found out that I copied this from a Anthony Robbins book years ago  (mid 90's I'm guessing). It's a book called Awaken the Giant Within.

I have read a lot of "self help" books over the years, and ultimately they pretty much all spell out the same thing with different angles. What ever self help/personal growth book you might be reading at the moment, I urge you to apply it to your life. We all have fallen guilty of reading to much of the same material and gathering more and more information. From what we eat, to what exercise modality, to what were supposed to think.....yet....we just intellectually masturbate with those ideas and while we're keeping our thoughts busy with those issues....very little action is taken.

Do any of you remember when I first started this blog almost 4 years ago and I tried to help one of my best friends to loose weight? I helped her to the point of cooking her daily meals for her and hand delivering them.
At that time, she was just "carrying out the commitment" to eat my way, but a "true decision" was never made. And so, it was only a matter of 1 month that she stopped her commitment and the weight she was desperately trying to loose, never came off and even worse, started accumulating even more. Well, 3 months ago she finally made a TRUE DECISION, and with the help of a very good MD, she decided it was time. She has lost 37 pounds so far, and there is no stopping her now. She is finally going to get what she has wanted so bad for so long. Because she made a "TRUE COMMITMENT".

Yesterday's post over at Zeroing In On Health had a sentence that really caught my attention

 "Consider that the average adult loses roughly 300 billion cells to old age every day and must replace them. Our bodies are literally manufactured out of the food we consume".

Read that a few times and tell me you would still want to eat that donut. If you have made yourself a true commitment, a sentence like the one above has so much meaning, that it will only reinforce what you've committed yourself to. If you haven't made that true commitment, you can, and we all have, read sentences like this all day long. They pique your interest, but you don't utilise or integrate them in your belief system.

I challenge you to make a TRUE COMMITMENT today. I promise you that if you do, you will be amazed with the change it will bring.

And.....back to some food ;-)

Lately I have been experimenting with a post workout meal. I'm not sure if you can really call it post work out, as I eat it about an hour after a morning workout. I used to fast till about 1-2 pmn after a 7 am work out, but for the past 2 weeks, I have been eating about 1/2 cup of full fat greek yogurt. I add a heaping tablespoon of turmeric to it.  (I also add some scallion, fresh ground pepper and sea salt)
Turmeric is one of nature's inflammation fighters.
I've notice 2 things from this little "n=1 thinkering" (hat tip to BRENT).
I seem to have a bit more "volume" in my muscles and my next meal of the day is very "energizing". I have a feeling the "carbs" in the yogurt swell my muscles a bit and the probiotics in the yogurt must have some effect on that next meal. Don't know how much longer I will continue this, as I like to keep it random, but wanted to share my experience.

A little plug for my beautiful town....
Just in case you're curious (our area has been economically hard hit because of  perceptions and a continuous media onslaught) our beaches and Gulf waters are free and clear of any oil or tar balls.



Make it a great day and remember to smile!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post! The topic is something that is far too often not considered! I'll be forwarding it to a friend who I think may get some motivation out of it ;)

p.s. THAT is one fabulous photo! Whoever took it must be a seriously fabulous person to have seen the moment and captured it so beautifully!!

Alexandra said...

Great thoughts. And so funny that you used a donut as an example, because someone brought some in to work today!

Teen Girls said...

Hey there! Just stopping in to say hi! Thanks for the little glimpse of your world, what a beautiful place to live. The motivational part was nice to hear too, since temptation tends to run high during this time of year.

Marc said...

Shanna,
Yes please share...that's what it is all about.
Fabulous people take fabulous pictures ;-)

Alexandra,
And...did you have one of those donuts ? ;-)
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!!

Primal Mama,

I've been lurking on your blog ;-)
Keep up the good fight...I know it's not easy when everyone around you thinks it's weird that you eat coconut oil and bacon.

I wanted to give you an idea...
in regards to those few pounds you're trying to loose..
Have you tried putting and keeping yourself in ketosis for a few weeks?
Just a thought. it might help you get out of the rut a bit.
Enjoy the Carolinas!!!

Marc

Annie said...

great post! I really get a lot from your blog...each post you make seems to be thought out and informational...thanks for the deep thoughts this time around!

Marc said...

Annie,
THANK you so much. That is some really nice feedback from you and I appreciate it.

Keep up the good work on your blog!
Have a great Thursday!!

Marc

Teen Girls said...

That would probably be the easier answer but I'd have to give up my wine right? :) Maybe I'll try it. To be honest, when I'm strict about things, the weight comes off. I just need to buckle down. Thanks for the advice!

Michellew said...

Love your blog, recently discovered it and appreciate the food ideas as well as the motivation. I am at the beginning of my own primal journey and frustratingly it has been a bit stop start so far with a few relapses.

I wanted to ask, what do you think it takes to make a true commitment? What led you to make your own, or how did you do it?

Thanks again

Marc said...

Michelle,

Welcome and thanks for the good question.

What does it take to make a true commitment?
I think it takes a TRUE look inside yourself, and dig deep to find out what it is YOU really want. Not things that you read or hear about and that you think you should be doing because others say so. What is it YOU truly want?
If you can find that out...the rest is easy. I know friends that after some serious time spent with this question, that realised that being in shape or fit was just not all that important to them. And that's ok too. They are a lot less stressed now, because they have let go of the notion that they HAVE to eat right or HAVe to exercise. See what I'm getting at?

As for me, after some "deep digging" I realised 2 very important things..
Once I uncovered those, making and sticking with the commitment was they easy part. Hope that helps some...and hope to see more of you here at Feel Good Eating.

Marc