Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Garden of Eating, Cook Book Review Part 2.

So I mentioned in my previous post on the book, how truly easy Rachel makes it, to create tasty and super healthy dishes. On that note lets look at:

Creamy Broccoli and Avocado Soup

4 cups of homemade chicken stock or preservative free chicken or veggie broth.
1 medium onion
2-3 small garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 teasp sea salt (omit or to taste)
1/4-1/2 teasp of ground chipotle (start with less)
1/2 teasp cumin (optional)
3 packed cups of broccoli (cut up and discard tough parts)
2 large ripe avocados
1/4 cup minced scallions,parsley or cilantro for garnish. (or red and yellow pepper)
Combine 2 cups of the broth with onion, garlic, sea salt and chipotle, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Now add remaining broth and broccoli and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer until veggies are tender. DON'T OVERCOOK.

In a blender, vitamix or food processor, puree veggies, liquid and avocado in batches. (handy Rachel tip, hold top down with towel and start on low to avoid splattering)
Return soup to pot and warm gently. Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve. You can also serve this soup chilled. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days.

Rachel's Variations (every recipe in the book has variations and pairing suggestions at the bottom of the page)
Switch out the broccoli, for zucchini, asparagus or summer squash and just change the name of the recipe.

I've done this before, but sometimes the food is so tasty, that I forget to take a picture. I will make it again and snap one to share with you all. TRY this soup recipe, it's straight forward and easy to do. You will be pleased with the results.

In part 3 of the series, Rachel has been kind enough to give away a very special offer. Stay tuned.

I did manage to snap a picture of a recent Indian meal I made. "Bhindi Masala". I can't remember where I saw this recipe, but it's not mine. Lot's of fresh local OKRA to be had at the moment, so thought I'd give this dish a try.
I did add some chicken and a touch of coconut milk, which wasn't part of the original recipe, as I think this is a traditional "veggie" dish. (let me know if you need the recipe)

Here's a quick tip for the people reading that are looking to lean out a bit. This was dinner after an "Eat stop Eat" day. I was hungry when dinner time rolled around. The "Bhindi" was so yummy......that I ate 3 PLATES!!!!! That is not the way to do it. So be aware of your portions if you are coming of an IF day. Some say that you can eat what you want.......yes you can (except crap food of course), but watch your portion size.

I've posted some tweets about it, but I'm absolutely falling in love with Stand Up Paddle Boarding. So this past Sunday I introduced my kids to it. They took right to it. They smiled and played for 4 straight hours.

Especially my youngest (9 in a few months), was truly cracking up. That's what real play is all about.
Ahhhhh, the difference of a few years. The older 2 in the background, used the board for tanning purposes also. The 2 young ones did not stop moving.
The boards are not made for 2, but they made it work pretty good.

Have a great day today and makes sure to SMILE. It's good for ya ;-)

4 comments:

Jeff said...

The paddle boards look like fun. Nice to see children playing happily together. Thanks for sharing.

The dish looks amazing. You about have me convinced to buy the book. I just started subscribing to Don's blog.

Yummy said...

Looks super fun!!! :)

Son of Grok said...

Damm you and your easy ocean access!

The SoG

uk theses said...

^ why so angry?? no need to do it dude, or you be banned for a long long time